The Southern state of India, Kerala is the tropical seventh heaven of flourishing palms and extensive sandy beaches. Divided into 14 different districts, Kerala has emerged as the hottest tourist destination of India today, especially amongst the international travelers. The state of lush greenery, Kerala perches on the stretch of a narrow strip that slopes down the Western Ghats and surrounded by Arabian Sea in west. The state is bisected by several small streams that enable the tourist to experience the marvelous water activities during their voyage.
The traditional dances and art forms, hill stations full of awe-inspiring wild life, long stretches of backwaters, vast coastline wizened with wide variety of beautiful and exotic beaches, mouthwatering South Indian cuisines and the world famous Ayurvedic treatment, all made Kerala a dream destination, both for international tourists and honeymooners. Owing to its natural beauty, Kerala is referred as Gods Own Country by the tourists. With highest rate of literacy, Kerala is known for its exceptional hospitality and simple people who are god-fearing and hospitable.
Popular Cities of Kerala
- The state capital – Thiruvananthapuram
- By Plane: There are three international airports within the state of Kerala that serves the needs of both domestic and international tourists – Cochin International Airport, Calicut International Airport, and Trivandrum International Airport.
- By Train: The state of Kerala is exceptionally connected with all parts of India. It has a well-established rail network from where direct trains to important cities of India are available.
- By Car: Taxi services are available from the neighboring states of Kerala including, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. But the travelling time is more compared to other means of transportation.
Sights and Activities
The state of Kerala is really awe-inspiring and Gods Own Country and it is so alluring and big geographically that within a week a tourist can’t explore and travel the entire state. However, there are few sightseeing and interesting sights that should not be skipped by any tourists during their voyage. Without visiting these sights their tour would not get complete indeed.
- Beaches – Kerala is globally renowned for long coastline lined with clean and magnificent beaches. The state has some of the finest beaches of India. The world famous beaches that tourists often explore during their voyage include, Alleppey, Poovar, Varkala, Kovalam, Cherai beach, Shanghumughan beach and Kappad beach where Vasco Da Gama landed in 1498.
- Hill Stations – Vast lush green mountains of the state has wide variety of hill stations and hill resorts, which are actually known as the home of several exotic species of wild life. A large number of hill stations are primarily covered by spice, coffee plantations and tea gardens and these are really the visual treats to view. Some of the popular hill stations of Kerala include, Poonmudi, Rajamala, Wayanad, Echo Point, Devikulam, Munnar and many others.
- Backwaters – The state of Kerala is globally renowned for its exotic backwaters, which are actually a network of deltas, rivers and canal that slopes into the Arabian Sea. But, the interesting fact is that major parts of backwaters are navigable and connects some of the villages that lie along with it. These backwaters are actually used by the locals to transport people and goods. Vembanad Lake is the largest stretches of backwaters and major town that lies along this backwater are Alleppey, Kollam and Kumarakom. Experiencing an overnight cruise in traditional house boat floating on the picturesque backwaters is really a dream of many tourists. Some of these house boats have comprehensive facilities and air conditioning and always targets the premium travelers.
Where to Stay
Though there are several hotels and guesthouses available across Kerala by KTDC for premium travelers, but there are also budget hotels and guesthouses available for travelers who are concerned about their travelling budget. Some of the popular hotels and guesthouses include, Reds Residency, Cavalryan Homes, Bell Mount Resort, The Haiwa Beach Residency, Ezhara Beach House and much more.